Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. is an international provider of software and combined hardware and software products for IT security, including network security, endpoint security, data security and security management.
Check Point was established in Ramat-Gan, Israel in 1993, by Gil Shwed (Chairman and CEO as of 2012), Shwed had the initial idea for the company’s core technology known as stateful inspection, which became the foundation for the company’s first product, FireWall-1; soon afterwards they also developed one of the world’s first VPN products, VPN-1. Shwed developed the idea while serving in the Israel Defense Forces, where he worked on securing classified networks.
Check Point offers the following primary products:
- Network Security — Check Point’s core business has historically focused on network security components including Firewall, IPsec VPN, Mobile Access, Intrusion Prevention, Antivirus, Anti-spam, URL filtering, Data Loss Prevention and Application Control. These products are deployed as software on x86-based hardware made by third parties including Crossbeam and Hewlett-Packard, or by Check Point(Safe@Office, UTM-1 Edge, UTM-1, Power-1, IP Appliances, and Integrated Appliance Solutions platforms).
- Virtualization Security — The Security Gateway VE product for virtual environments, which runs on VMware ESX and ESXi, secures virtual machines and applications via either hypervisor integration using the VMSafe API, or as a VMware network appliance. A separate product called VPN Power-1 VSX can host multiple virtual security gateways on a single machine.
- Data Security — VPNs, access controls, and the DLP security gateway secure data-in-motion and data-in-use. Check Point Document Security protects data-in-use. Full Disk Encryption, Media Encryption and Port Control secure data-at-rest on endpoints.
- Endpoint Security — a single security agent that combines firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware, full disk encryption, removable media encryption, protection of I/O ports such as USB, network access control, and a VPN client. The security policies for networked endpoints can be centrally managed from a single location via the Endpoint Policy Management Software Blade product.
- Mobile Security — Check Point Mobile Access software provides secure access to corporate resources via a SSL VPN portal for devices such as laptops, mobile phones, and tablet PCs. The Check Point GO USB device provides a secure virtual desktop for Microsoft Windows machines, allowing remote access of the corporate network via a VPN connection, and has encrypted storage.
- Security Management — Allows administrators to manage events, set policy and apply protections across the entire security infrastructure from a single interface. Based on the Software Blade architecture, with 11 management software blades including event analysis, correlation, multi-domain security management, and device provisioning.
Main website: Check Point